Monday, January 26, 2015

ASK 3 - Go out of your way to open the door for someone

The ASK: Go out of your way to open the door for someone.

Brr! If you are in the Northeast, stay safe and warm! We are hunkered down inside right now.  The stress of preparing for this storm has definitely created an environment where kindness is needed! I stopped by 7-11 on my way home (Slurpee for the husband, Peanut Butter Kandy-Kakes for me).  It was packed!  After I left, I saw a man wheeling a cart of supplies he was delivering towards the store.  I turned around and opened the door for him.  It wasn't much, but it may have made a difference for his day.



Plenty of times at my school, I am carrying papers, boxes, or yoga mats to or from an event or a meeting.  It is very rare for someone to open a door to help me out, and on those busy days especially, a little help would mean a lot to me!  So, for this ASK, students should go out of their way to open the door for someone: student or staff.  It doesn't take a lot of time or effort, but it can certainly make a difference in someone's day!



Considerations for Schools:

  • This is another of those ASK that would be wonderful for students to do on an everyday basis.
  • Keep your school security rules in mind, especially those about not letting people in from outside! Students can open the doors for fellow students and school staff when entering the school in the morning or open doors within the school building during the school day.  Don't breach the school's security by opening the doors for people outside: they can go to the main entrance and sign in!

No comments:

Post a Comment