Thursday, January 22, 2015

Acts of School Kindness

Thank you for joining me on this journey to create and implement 180 Acts of School Kindness (ASK).   An ASK is an action that a student can do in the school setting to bring kindness to another.  

Who am I?:  I am a SAC at a high school and middle school in New Jersey.  You might be wondering what a SAC is; it either means substance awareness coordinator, student assistance counselor, substance awareness counselor, or student assistance coordinator.  The title has changed over time to reflect the changing role of the SAC position.  My actual job consists of a multitude of different things on a day-to-day basis, but there are 2 fundamental themes.

  1. I provide non-academic counseling to students.  This encompasses just about everything except grades, college, and scheduling.  Of course, those subjects come up in sessions, but more in the sense that they are impacting or being impacted by students' mental, emotional, behavioral, and chemical health.
  2. I provide education to students, faculty, and parents (or the community) about topics related to mental, emotional, behavioral, and chemical health.
In addition to being a SAC, I also have my school (guidance) counselor certification and I am a Licensed Associate Counselor in NJ.  I have worked as either a school counselor or SAC with students ranging from K-12 and taught grades 8-12.  I adore every grade I have worked with, but I keep finding myself drawn back towards elementary/middle school.  I have always been interested in the resilience of children and through reading I've done on the topic, I came across the field of Positive Psychology and the work of Martin Seligman (who I am desperate to work with at some point!).  I recently enrolled in a Positive Psychology graduate certificate program to learn more about the field.  Also, I hope to one day earn a doctorate and focus my research on applications of Positive Psychology in school counseling.  I also have a dream to write a children's book one day!


What is my plan?: Over the rest of the school year (5 more months), I will think, dream, discuss, and compile ideas for acts of school kindness (ASK) that are both free and appropriate to school settings.  Then, I will try them myself* and share my reflections here.

When will I do this/When will I post?: I will do this whenever I can!  Though I am very busy, I will make time to engage in ASK.  You see, that's the point!  Students are busy too, so the goal is to find acts of kindness that are practical and fit within the limitations of a student's average school day.  I plan to try at least 1 new ASK every weekday, but will try for 2 or more to hit my goal of 180 by the end of the school year**. 

Why do this?: The founder of Positive Psychology, Martin Seligman, wrote in his 2011 book Flourish, “doing a kindness produces the single most reliable momentary increase in well-being of any exercise we have tested."  He then suggests a "Kindness Exercise" - "find one wholly unexpected kind thing to do tomorrow and just do it."  

My school participated in the "Celebrate Kindness" initiative during No Name Calling Week.  It was difficult for me to come up with ideas to suggest to students for Random Acts of Kindness because of being in a school environment and being unable to have students spend money on other students.  At the end of this project, my goal is to have a list of 180 Acts of School Kindness that can easily be done, for free, by students of any age within the limitations of the school setting.  

My hope is that the list will be used by guidance counselors, teachers, SACs, administrators, parents, and anyone else who understands the benefits of kindness to well-being, and wants to help students engage in ASK.  

How are you going to get the ASK?: I don't know yet!  I am hoping to come up with a lot through my own thoughts and experiences.  I am also open to any suggestions or ideas for ASK, and I will certainly give credit! 

* Don't worry, I won't use my students as lab rats!
** My ASK will not be part of my work day.  The only time I will be trying them during school hours is when they organically crop up as a part of my job. Before or after school is fair game though!


No comments:

Post a Comment